The Omnia Group, in business since 1953, is listed in the Chemicals, Oils and Plastics sector of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, with a market capitalisation in excess of R1 billion. The Group supplies industrial chemicals, fertilizer to the agricultural industry, and explosives to the mining industry.
Omnia’s Sasolburg plants are the largest of the group’s fertilizer production complexes. The fertilizer industry as a whole sells three million tons of fertilizer each year, two million tons in South Africa and a million tons into subequatorial Africa. Omnia has a third of the South African market and a significant portion of the million tons into Africa. Using feedstocks from Sasol’s chemical industries plants, it first began production in Sasolburg during 1967 when it established its first granular fertilizer plant. 1974 saw the launch of an ammonia and a super-phosphates plant in Sasolburg. A nitrogen plant was added to the Sasolburg complex in 1982 and in 1997, a fertilizer granulation plant was built. A new calcium nitrate plant was opened in 2003.
The Sasolburg factory operates the following plants:
1) Dual pressure UHDE designed Nitric Acid plant producing 60% nitric acid
2) Ammonium nitrate plant producing 89% ammonium nitrate solution
3) Fertilizer granulation complex with two production lines: one line to produce LAN (CAN), ASN and NP, NPK and NPKS grades of granular fertilizer (except DAP type grades) and a second line, based on Grande Paroisse technology and commissioned in 1999, to produce any NP, NPK and NPKS grade including DAP.
4) Liquid and granular calcium nitrate plant developed in-house
5) Ammonium Nitrate / Calcium Nitrate mix plant producing an intermediate for emulsion explosives manufactured by another Omnia company, Bulk Mining Explosives (BME).
6) Single Super phosphate plant
7) Mannheimer furnace licensed from Norsk Hydro, producing potassium sulphate and hydrochloric acid, marketed by Omnia’s chemical division company, Protea Chemicals. Several dry and liquid materials handling, blending and packaging units.
8) Animal feed grade mono calcium phosphate.
9) Liquid Fertilizer plant, producing both clear liquids and suspensions.
10) Specialty Fertilizer (100% water soluble) blending and packaging operation.
11) Direct Ammonia to Soil Application equipment and Technical Back-up facility.