Vaal Triangle History

Peace Negotiations

William Stow

1939 - 1945

Vereeniging Estates

Viljoensdrift

Vaal Dam

Klip Power Station

Coal

1935

1899 - 1902
1960

Sharpeville

Preface

Peace Negotiations

William Stow

1939 - 1945

Vereeniging Estates

Viljoensdrift

Vaal Dam

Klip Power Station

Coal

1935

1899 - 1902
1960

Preface

Sharpeville

Vaal Triangle History

The Second World War precipitated an increase in the nation’s steel production beyond the capacity of the works in Pretoria and Dr. Hendrik van der Bijl, a technical adviser to the government, was persuaded to purchase a site from Vereeniging Estates at a place downstream of the Rand Water Boards intakes.  This was the establishment of Iscor’s giant steelworks.  Plans were not only made for the works, but also to house the Iscor workers with all facilities such as hospitals, schools, parks etc.  The town, named Vanderbiljpark, was formally proclaimed in 1949 and achieved municipal status in 1952.  Dr. van der Bijl’s other contributions to the Vaal Triangle region were the flotation of the Vanderbijl Engineering Corporation, Vecor (now Dorbyl Heavy Engineering - DHE), to provide for the country’s heavy engineering needs and Amcor (now Samancor) to exploit mineral deposits and process them into ferroalloys for the steel industry.

Vanderbijlpark

Page 6
Page 4

Dickenson Railway Bridge

Peace Monument

Vereeniging

William Stow Monument

Garden of Remembrance

Sharpeville

Apartheid Bridge

Cenotaph

OVERVIEW

Page 7

1

Page

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9